1. The scientific name is: Drosera.
2. Sundew is an insectivorous plant belonging to the family of sundews.
3. Over 180 species of sundew are known.
4. Over 100 species of sundew grows in Australia.
5. Three species of sundew grow in Poland.
6. Sundew can live up to 50 years.
7. Australian sundews are considered a delicacy of Aborigines.
On what area do sundew grow?
It’s easiest to find sundews in swampy areas, backwaters. They like areas shallowly covered with water.
Does the sundew really devour animals?
Yes, mainly small insects, but there are also cases when a mouse, or small birds are eaten.
Is the sundew a big plant?
It is not a large plant, the height of most species reaches up to 15 cm.
How can a plant eat an animal?
Sundew has leaves as a trap. They are covered with glandular hairs that give off sticky liquid attracting animals.