1. The sun is 75% hydrogen, the rest is helium and traces of other elements.
2. It takes 8 minutes for the sun’s rays to reach the Earth.
3. In the interior of the sun can be up to 15 million degrees Celsius.
4. The sun rotates around its axis every 25.38 days.
5. Observing at the appropriate angle of the Sun, in specific conditions during the sunset, for a few seconds the Sun may seem completely green.
6. The Sun’s brightness will increase by 10% in a billion years, which will raise the average temperature on Earth to 50 degrees C.
7. In 1883 the Krakatau volcano erupted with the force of about 200 megatons of TNT, throwing out 45 cubic kilometers of dust that covered 70% of the Earth’s surface. For three years, the sun was green.
8. The ancient Greeks and Chinese called the peninsulas in the east “the place from which the sun grows.”
9. In every second, the Sun loses 4 million tons of its mass.
10. The sun reaches the center of the Milky Way during 200 – 250 million Earth years. This is called galactic year.
11. The sun is around 26,000 light-years from the center of the Milky Way.
12. The sun is moving at around 220 km / s.
13. The sun is so dim that if it were more than 40 light-years away from Earth, it would not be visible to the naked eye.
14. In 2010, scientists determined that the Sun is one of the brightest stars in the Milky Way. Only 5% of the stars are brighter.
15. The sun is made of plasma and gas.
16. A lot of people, about 30% looking at the Sun, involuntarily sneezes.
17. The diameter of the Sun is 400 times larger than the Moon and is 400 times farther than the Moon from Earth. That is why in the sky it seems that they have the same size.
18. In Japanese, the day Sunday means “Sun”.
19. There are sunspots on the Sun that have a lower temperature than the rest of the star’s surface. Some spots are so big that you can see them from the Earth with the naked eye using a solar filter.
20. Leonardo da Vinci wrote: “The sun is not moving” – 40 years before Copernicus.
21. Every 11 years on the Sun there is a change of poles of the magnetic field.
22. As much as 99.86% of the total solar system is the Sun.
23. The diameter of the Sun is 109 times the diameter of the Earth.
24. The sun belongs to the group of yellow dwarves.
25. In the Sun, 1,300,000 Lands would fit.
26. The sun has the shape of a practically perfect sphere. The flattening is 9/1000000 (the length of the polar radius differs from equatorial only by 10 km).
27. The sun is more or less in the middle of its lifetime, its age is estimated to be over 4 billion years.
28. According to surveys, 25% of Americans and 30% of Russians believe that the Sun revolves around the Earth.
29. 110 light years from Earth is the star HD 162826, considered to be identical to our Sun.
30. Helium was first discovered on the Sun, and only 27 years later on Earth.
31. It takes 200,000 years for the photon to reach the surface of the Sun’s nucleus, then it can reach Earth within 8 minutes.
32. The sun really shines white, not yellow.
33. Riding a car at a constant speed of 150 km / h, we reach the Sun in 114 years.
34. The Aztecs made bloody sacrifices of people because they believed that the sun needed human blood to have the power to move through the sky.
35. In Greece, the Sun speaks of HELIOS (Ilios) from the Greek god Helios, who believed that if he would say the word Helios (Ilios) before leaving the home, he would always be happy.