1. Sloths are great swimmers.
2. Sloths spend most of their time on trees.
3. Sloths defecate once a week.
4. Sloths sleep 10 hours a day (in captivity even 18 hours).
5. Sloths always urinate in the same place and are exposed to predators.
6. Sloths are herbivorous.
7. Even dead sloths can hang on the tree.
8. Slothful sloth can turn his head 270 degrees.
9. Sloths are nocturnal animals.
10. The pregnancy of a sloth usually lasts from 7 to 10 months, only one individual is born.
11. The sexual intercourse of a sloth takes about 5 seconds.
12. Sloths “speed” at a speed of about 2.5 meters per hour.
13. They can hold air under water for over 40 minutes.
14. Sloths leave the tree once a week to make a pile.
15. They are able to rotate their head 180 degrees thanks to 9 cervical vertebrae.
16. On sloths due to lack of hygiene, algae and lichen grow in the rainy season, which gives them a green shade. As a result, they are less visible.
17. Of all mammals in the world, sloths have the slowest metabolism.
18. Digestion of eaten leaves takes even several months.
19. Sloth claws are up to 10 cm long.
20. Over 80% of the life a sloth spends hanging on a branch.
21. Sloths are genetically adapted to life “upside down”. Even their fur grows up, not down like other animals.
22. Descent from the tree in order to defecate and return takes over 6 hours.
23. Leniwiec buries his “kupka” under a tree, which is a great fertilizer for vegetation.
24. The sloth in the search for a partner often goes to another tree, which may last several days. After a few seconds the relationship goes away.
25. Leniwiec becomes independent after about a year. It moves to the tree next to it and no longer maintains contact with the mother.
26. Sloths, like cows, have a four-chamber stomach.
27. Three-fingered sloths are not closely related to the two-fingered. The research shows that they had a common ancestor over 30 million years ago.
28. About 10,000 years ago in North America lived gigantic dwupalczaste sloths that were larger than the modern elephant. Their claws were over a meter long.
29. The greatest enemies are predatory cats and serpents.
30. In order for the sloth to keep the right body temperature, he must bask in the sun. On cloudy days, the temperature of their body drops through it become even more slow.