1. The scientific name is: Sequoia.
2. Sequoia is a huge tree belonging to the cypress family.
3. Sequoias are the tallest trees in the world.
4. Only one species survived to the present day: the evergreen sequoia.
5. Once, the sequoia also included the giant mammoth species called the giant sequoia. Currently, a separate type has been created for him: a mammoth.
6. The only place where the redwoods grow naturally is California and Oregon in the United States.
7. The highest redwood – Hyperion, is 115 meters high, and the thickness of the stem is almost 5 meters.
8. The sequoias are famous for their longevity. They can survive up to 2000 years.
9. Sequoias are always green.
10. The Sequoia National Park in California has remains of redwood trunks growing in the 19th century. The largest one has a diameter of 12 meters and it is estimated that he could have 135 meters in height.
11. Redwood has wood resistant to decay.
12. Sequoias are one of the oldest living creatures on Earth.
13. Young redwoods grow very quickly (20 meters in 20 years).