1. Penguins have 3 toes.
2. the imperial penguin’s body resembles a torpedo.
3. For some penguins, the male broods for two months.
4. Small penguins after hatching are gray and covered with down.
5. Emperor penguin can swim at speeds up to 60km / h.
6. The Imperial penguin can not spend more than 15 minutes under water.
7. For penguins, food can only be salty or sour.
8. Penguins are the only birds that have a naturally upright posture.
9. Penguins have tickles, to which they react similarly to laughter.
10. There have been cases when the penguin leaves the herd and moves away from the ocean committing suicide. It is not known what is the reason for this behavior.
11. The Emperor penguin can dive to a depth of over half a kilometer.
12. The oldest penguin in the world, a Japanese zoo, died at the age of 39 and 9 months.
13. A 40-year-old penguin would have been about 150 years old.
14. The penguin fossil that lived more than 60 million years ago was found.
15. Penguins have an overgrowth gland that filters salt water from the blood.
16. Penguins often return to the nests in which they turned out.
17. In some species of penguins the male broods eggs, and the female goes hunting.
18. Antonio Pigafetty was the first to describe penguins. He noticed them in 1520 near Punta Tombo in Argentina. He called them “weird geese”.
19. Penguin penguins live in forests and caves in New Zealand.
20. Two homosexual penguins live in the Norwegian zoo – Pondus and Herman Pile.
21. Most penguins have soft spikes on the tongue that make it easier to keep the fish caught.
22. Penguins are not sexually dimorphic. Males and females look similar.
23. An adult penguin can catch up to 30 fish during one dive.
24. Penguins lose their feathers once a year. The process of regrowing new takes several weeks. During this time, they can not enter the water.
25. Royal penguin colonies consist of up to 10,000 individuals.
26. The correct penguin body temperature is 38 degrees Celsius.
27. Penguins on shore are short-sighted. They can see much better under water.
28. The male imperial penguin during the hatching period does not eat for more than 115 days.
29. Penguins have the most feathers among all birds. About 12 feathers per cm2.
30. Penguins spend three-quarters of their life in the water.
31. Gentoo penguin can swim at a speed of 36 km / h.