The Milky Way is a spiral galaxy with a strip of bright stars emerging from the center and running through the center of the galaxy.
It is estimated that there are 400 billion stars in the galaxy.
In the Milky Way there is a Solar System.
Milky Way interesting facts
1. It is predicted that in about 3 billion years the Milky Way will collide with the Andromeda galaxy.
2. The central point of the Milky Way is 28,800 light years from the Sun.
3. The milky way is approaching a huge cluster of galaxy clusters known as the Great Attractor at the speed of 2 million km / h.
4. The Earth, along with the sun and other celestial bodies of the Milky Way, circulates around the dark hole at almost a million km / h.
5. The sun reaches the center of the Milky Way during 200 – 250 million Earth years. This is called galactic year.
6. The black hole in the heart of the milky way is called sagittarius A *.
[contact-form-7 id="2444" title="add"]
What size is the Milky Way?
It is estimated that its diameter is about 100,000 light years, and the thickness is about 1000 light years.
Can you determine the age of the Milky Way?
In 2004, Luca Pasquini, Piercarlo Bonifacio, Sofia Randich, Daniele Galli and Raffaele G. Gratton, based on the measurement of the beryllium content in the stars of the globular cluster NGC 6397, estimated the age of the Milky Way at 13.6 billion years.
Where did the name: Milky Way come from?
Looking at the sky in the sky at the bright smuge of stars, there is an association with spilled milk. In Greek, the word galaktikos means “milky.”
Can you see the Milky Way in the sky with the naked eye?
It is possible, but to find the characteristic ring of the Milky Way, you need to find a place where there is no artificial light around.
What’s in the center of the Milky Way?
In the center of the Mlecznje Road there is a supermassive black hole.