11. Over 10% of Haitian children die before the age of five.
12. 80% of Haitians live below the poverty threshold and 54% in extreme poverty. The average annual income is 480 $.
13. The average Haitian earns less than $3 a day.
14. Only 53% of people can read and write.
15. Less than 5 people in 1000 have a car.
16. There is no railway in Haiti.
17. In 1802, after the death of the revolutionary leader Toussaint L’Ouvertura, his chief lieutenant Jean-Jacques Dessalines proclaimed himself the first emperor of Haiti and ordered most white people killed in the country.
18. In the eighteenth century, Haitians developed complicated tables of genetic origin, dividing mulattoes into more than one hundred shades of black and white.
19. Only 10% of all Haitian children can learn in primary school and go to high school.
20. The traditional sport is the fight of cocks.
21. It is the most mountainous country in the Caribbean.
22. Haiti is one of the most deforested nations in the world.
23. The descendants of African slaves account for 95% of the population of Haiti.
24. Over 40% of the population is under 14 years of age.
25. Haiti is a center of drug trafficking, especially of cocaine distributed in South and Central America, Europe and the United States.
26. On January 12, 2010, there was an earthquake that killed over 160,000 people,
27. The island of Haiti until the 19th century was called Hispaniola.
28. The minimum wage varies from 125 gourde per day to 300 gourde per day depending on the profession (data from 2014).
29. In Haiti, an average adult consumes about 6.4 liters of pure alcohol a year.
30. The national alcohol is rum Barbancourt.
31. The most drinks are spirit – 99.6%, then beer – 0.2%, and wine – 0.2%.
32. In this country, compulsory education lasts 6 years.
33. The beginning of education begins at the age of 6.
34. The average IQ level is 67.
35. The change from daylight saving time to winter time (turning clockwise by one hour) is on the first Sunday of November.
36. 58% of the population suffer from malnourishment (around 6,330,000 people).
37. 71% of the population live on less than 3 $a day.
38. In this country there are over 4,266 km of paved roads (0.01% of all roads in the world).
39. In this country there are 14 airports, 4 of the paved surface.
40. In this country, over
1 217 000 (2015) 1 308 290 (2018) people have access to internet (about 12% of the population).
1,000,000 (2015) 1,300,000 (2018) accounts on Facebook.
42. The national top-level domain is .ht . There are over 2,560 websites with such an extension.
43. The most popular pages with the extension .ht are: p.ht, google.ht and v.ht.
44. The country has over $1,355,000,000 in foreign exchange reserves (0.011% of foreign currency reserves of all countries in the world).
45. Gross Domestic Product (GDP) …
– in 2015 the year is $9,418,000,000 ,
– in 2018 the year is $8,410,000,000 .
46. Internal debt at the beginning …
– 2015 year was 26.7% GDP, or around: $2,511,606,000 ,
– 2018 of the year was 32.6% GDP, or around: $2,741,660,000 . To pay it off, each citizen would have to give about $251.
47. The foreign debt at the beginning of 2015 year was around: $1,366,000,000 .
48. In this country an adult person smokes an average of 8 cigarettes a month.
49. In this country there are 39.3% of people above 15 years of age who can not read or write (approximately 4,288,345 people).
50. The lowest temperature: 1 °C was measured at Fort des Pins.
51. The highest temperature: 39.4 °C was measured at Port au Prince.
52. The most deadly disease in this country is HIV / AIDS.
53. The average life expectancy in this country is 61 years (women – 62 years and men – 59.9 years).
54. In this country, men and women can get married at the age of 18.
55. In this country, women having their first child on average 22.7 years old.
56. 10 women give birth to 27 children on average
57. The average age of people living in this country is 22.5 years.
58. The country is around:
– 3,687,000 people (33.28%) in the age range 0-14 years.
– 6 927 000 people (62.53%) in the age range 15-64 years.
– 464 200 people (4.19%) over 65 years old.
59. In this country, about 247,000 children are born each year (2.2% of the population), and about 86,800 people die (0.8% of the population).
60. There are 17700 km2 of agricultural land in Haiti (64% of the country).
61. 6 people in 1000 possess firearms.
62. Fonds-Verrettes is the highest town in the country.
63. In this country, women have the right to vote since 1950.
64. In this country, the formalities associated with setting up a business last 203 days.
65. The country joined the UN on October 24, 1945.
66. The work week is 48 hours.
67. 37% of the country’s population lives in urban areas.
68. 1034 km2 of the country is covered by forests (3.8%)
69. The last death penalty was carried out in 1972.
70. The unemployment rate is 14% (data from 2018).
71. The level of inflation in 2018 is 13%.
72. Haiti has 1,800 kg of gold reserves (2018).