Dolphins are aquatic mammals of the order of cetaceans.
There are two types of dolphins: oceanic and freshwater.
Dolphin interesting facts
1. Dolphins live in groups of several to several hundred individuals.
2. Dolphins have the ability to echolocate.
3. The dolphin species Coastal Satolia has the ability to electro-receive.
4. Dolphins communicate with each other through sounds.
5. Dolphins sleep, floating in the water at a depth of about 50 cm, with one eye open.
6. Dolphins hunt in schools, sometimes with sharks.
7. The dolphins’ greatest enemy is the killer whale.
8. Dolphins are trained to do tricks in the dolphinariums.
9. In India, dolphins have been granted the legal status of “non human person”, which gives them legal sanction of the right to freedom.
10. The US Navy began military training of dolphins in 1959.
11. During the Vietnam War, dolphins escorted American ships.
12. Dolphins have been observed several times to “play” with whales by riding on their backs.
13. In order to catch a breath, a dolphin has to emerge from the water.
14. A dolphin’s brain weighs about 2 kg.
15. Dolphins are the only animals that have sex for pleasure. There have been cases of homosexuality and bisexuality. It happens that dolphins take part in group orgies.
16. Malcolm Brenner wrote the book “Wet Goddess” in which he detailed the history of his sexual relationship with a dolphin named Dolly.
17. 5 species of dolphins live in rivers.
18. There is an albino pink dolphin in Lake Calcasieu in the US state of Louisiana.
19. In the Baltic Sea there is a mammal very similar to a dolphin – the Harbor porpoise.
20. A dolphin’s intelligence can be compared to that of a chimpanzee.
21. Dolphins can’t sneeze.
22. Dolphins give themselves names.
23. The dolphin is the fastest aquatic mammal. Able to reach speeds of 55 km/h.
[contact-form-7 id="2444" title="add"]
What do dolphins feed on?
Dolphins feed on fish, squid and crustaceans.
How many dolphins live?
Dolphins live from 7 to 21 years old.
How long is the dolphin?
The dolphin is from 1 to 5 m in length.
How long does a dolphin take for pregnancy?
Dolphin pregnancy lasts from 9 to 12 months.
Why can dolphins sometimes be found near shore in shallow water?
Dolphins go to shallow water mostly when they are injured or sick, so that they do not drown.
Do dolphins have bones?
Dolphins have bones. They are much lighter than the bones of land mammals.
Why are dolphins smiling all the time?
This is an illusion resulting from the arrangement of their jaws. Dolphins look smiling even when they have a “bad day”.
How do dolphins sleep?
In a dolphin, the brain hemisphere enters the sleep phase once and once. Thanks to this, he is active all the time.
Can a dolphin kill a man?
It can kill, but it is mainly by accident or in self-defense. Dolphin attacks on people are rare.