A diamond is a solid form of carbon having a cubic crystal structure.
It is the hardest substance known to man, occurring in nature.
The average diamond density is 3.52 g / cm3.
Diamond interesting facts
1. Antoine Lavoisier was the first person to prove that the diamond is pure carbon.
2. Rough diamond is matte, without gloss.
3. The weight of the diamond is given in carats (1 carat = 0.2 g).
4. The main suppliers of diamonds is Russia.
5. To burn a diamond, you need around 3500 ° C.
6. Diamond is resistant to acids and bases.
7. The blue diamond is a semiconductor.
8. The total weight of all extracted diamonds in the world is about 400 tons.
9. The production of artificial diamonds began in 1953.
10. The diamond of all known materials has the best thermal conductivity.
11. Diamond talismans have been used in India for over 4,000 years BC.
12. The largest diamond in the world – Cullinan found near Pretoria in 1905, weighed 3106 carats.
13. 105 brilliants were made of Cullinan diamond.
14. Cullinan Diamond is the most expensive diamond in the world. Its value is estimated at over PLN 1.5 billion.
15. The largest diamond went to Great Britain in 1907. A special, armored ship was sent to take away the precious jewel. This was to mislead potential thieves. The diamond was sent in a packet.
16. The oldest diamond was discovered in Australia. Its age is estimated at over 3 billion years.
17. One of the largest and most beautiful diamonds in the world – Orlov – is stored in the Moscow Kremlin. It weighs 189.62 carats.
18. The second largest diamond in the world – Lesedi La Rona, uncut, weighing 1109 carats, was sold for 53 million dollars.
19. Tower of London is the most valuable diamond in the world – Koh-I-Nor.
20. The Hope diamond weighing only 9 grams is worth as much as PLN 1.4 billion.
21. Brilliant Hope, the owner brings misfortune. Currently located in the Washington Museum of Natural History.
22. April 4, 2017 at the auction in Hong Kong sold 59.60 carat, the pink diamond was sold for a record amount of 71.2 million dollars.
23. On August 27, 2007, information about diamond mining with a weight of over 7,000 carats went around the world. It was a scam.
24. In Poland, two diamonds are the most valuable: a big black diamond in a golden tin of St. Stanisława, who is in the treasury of the Wawel Cathedral and a colorless diamond in the crown of the monastrance of Jan Kazimierz from the treasury of the Pauline monastery at Jasna Góra.
[contact-form-7 id="2444" title="add"]
How did Antoine Lavoisier prove that a diamond is pure coal?
He put the diamond in a glass basket and burned it with the sunlight.
Where does the name of the diamond come from?
The name comes from the ancient Greek word “ἀδάμας” (adamas) – in Latin “diamondum”, which means “indestructible”, “invincible”.
What diamonds are the most expensive?
The most expensive, because the rarest are pure, colorless diamonds. The next ones are gently stained with blue.
How much do diamonds cost?
For a white diamond weighing one carat, you have to pay over 10,000 $. A black one carat diamond costs about PLN 1 800 $.
Is it worth investing in diamonds?
As most, the price of diamonds goes up year by year.
In which countries do diamond deposits exist?
These countries are: India, Russia, Australia, South Africa, Democratic Republic of the Congo, Brazil, Botswana, Namibia, Sierra Leone, Senegal, Canada, United States, Angola, Congo, Lesotho, Tanzania, Ghana, Cote d’Ivoire, Burkina Faso, Guinea and Liberia.
What is the difference between a diamond and a diamond?
The diamond is a round diamond with a full brilliant cut.