Is it normal that in old age people get stupid?
There is no conclusive evidence that dementia is a normal symptom of aging.
Is dementia curable?
Dementia is the result of brain processes that are not reversible. There is no medicine for her.
Why dementia dies a lot more people than, say, 50 years ago?
Because people live longer and more and modern medicine is able to diagnose this ailment.
What are the symptoms of dementia?
This is to a large extent a reduction in the ability to think and remember, speaking problems, emotional disorders, lack of motivation.
How to protect yourself against dementia?
Continuous acquisition of new knowledge (reading books), no addictions, sports lifestyle (prevention of hypertension, obesity).
What are the types of dementia?
The most well-known are: Alzheimer’s, vascular dementia, Lewy body dementia and fronto-temporal dementia.
How is dementia examined?
The level of dementia is examined by solving the test developed in 1975 – MMSE (Mini-Mental State Examination). It takes about 5 minutes and on the basis of the results it is possible to assess the degree of dementia.
Dementia interesting facts
1. Dementia is a long-term, gradual decline in the ability to think and remember caused by brain damage.
2. Dementia is also called dementia.
3. 50-70% of cases of dementia are caused by Alzheimer’s disease.
4. Depression in the elderly is often confused with dementia.
5. In extreme cases, people suffering from dementia are not able to perform daily activities themselves. They need constant care of other people.
6. About 3% of people aged 65-74 suffer from dementia, 19% in age 75-84 and 50% over 85 years old.
7. Annually, over 50 million people suffer from dementia worldwide.
8. 10% of people with this disease have mixed dementia (combination of Alzheimer’s with another type of dementia).
9. Similar symptoms to dementia are also caused by hypothyroidism, vitamin B12 deficiency, cerebrospinal myocarditis and Lyme disease.
10. Vascular dementia occurs after a stroke.
[contact-form-7 id="2444" title="add"]