11. The UK continues to control almost 3% of the island.
12. The sun shines over 320 days a year.
13. Very low crime rate, 1/6 of the European average.
14. In the Bronze Age it was the richest nation, due to the large copper deposits.
15. In the spring, in the morning you can ride in the mountains after snow skiing, and in the afternoon, bask in the sun on the beach.
16. Residents everywhere drive cars, even to the store just around the corner. Any unnecessary movement is a strange activity for them. There are very few cyclists.
17. Traditional weddings have as many guests as the room will accommodate. The more the better.
18. It’s very easy to catch hitchhiking in Cyprus.
19. There is left-hand traffic in Cyprus.
20. There are cats everywhere, they were brought in to get rid of poisonous snakes.
21. Interestingly, even though the temperature of “winter” drops rarely below 20 degrees Celsius, there are a lot of fur shops in this country.
22. It is believed that the ruins of Atlantis are found between the coasts of Cyprus and Syria.
23. The tourist season in Cyprus lasts a whole year.
24. According to legend, in Cyprus, the goddess of love – Aphrodite – emerged from the deep water.
25. There are a lot of ancient monuments in this small country.
26. Five water parks were created in Cyprus.
27. In one of the water parks there is a huge slide with up to 370 bends.
28. The minimum wage is 870 euro for the first half year, and then it is increased to 924 euro for one month’s work (data from 2014).
29. The tax-free amount is EUR 19 500.
30. In 2018, the average monthly salary in this country is 1 840 €.
31. The amount of income tax in Cyprus is 12.5%.
32. Men and women can retire at the age of 65.
33. The unemployment rate in 2018 is 8.2% .
34. 5 Cypriots have accumulated assets greater than a billion US dollars.
35. The richest of them is John Fredriksen with assets worth over $10.5 billion.
36. In Cyprus, an average adult consumes about 9.2 liters of pure alcohol a year.
37. The national alcohol is brandy sour.
38. The most beer is beer – 41%, then spirit – 33%, wine – 25.3%, and other alcoholic beverages – 0.7%.
39. In this country, compulsory education lasts 9 years.
40. The beginning of education begins at the age of 6.
41. The average IQ level is 91.
42. In this country there are 0.9% of people above 15 years of age who can not read or write (approximately 7 623 people).
43. The national animal is a Cypriot mouflon.
44. The change from daylight saving time to winter time (turning clockwise back one hour) is the last Sunday in October.
45. The national tree is golden oak.
46. The built-up speed limit is 50 km / h.
47. In addition to built-up areas, the speed limit on the normal road is 80 km / h, and on highways 100 km / h.
48. The permissible blood alcohol content in a person driving a car is 0.5 promille.
49. In 2013, 44 people lost their lives due to traffic accidents.
50. 14% of fatal accidents caused people who were under the influence of alcohol.
51. In this country there is left-hand traffic.
52. In this country, over 644,000 motor vehicles are registered (760 vehicles per 1,000 inhabitants).
53. In this country there are over 20,006 km of paved roads, including over 249 km of expressways (0.03% of all roads in the world).
54. In this country, over
804,000 (2015) 971 369 (2018) people have access to the internet ( about 115% of the population).
590,000 (2015) 870,000 (2018) accounts on Facebook.
56. The national top-level domain is .cy . There are over 13,430 websites with such an extension.
57. The most popular pages with the extension .cy are: google.com.cy, 24sports.com.cy and kathimerini.com.cy.
58. The country has 2018 over $852,000,000 in foreign exchange reserves (0.0072% of foreign currency reserves of all countries) the world).
59. Gross Domestic Product (GDP) …
– in 2015 the year is $19,400,000,000 ,
– in 2018 the year is $21 650 000 000 .
60. Internal debt at the beginning …
– 2015 year was 107.5% GDP, or around: $20,855,000,000 ,
– 2018 of the year was 97.5% GDP, or around: $21 108 750 000 . To pay it off, each citizen would have to give around $24,922.
61. Foreign debt at the beginning …
– 2014 the year was around: $95,280,000,000 ,
– 2018 of the year is around: $123 020 000 000 .
62. In this country an adult person smokes an average of 135 cigarettes a month.
63. The lowest temperature: -112.8 °C was measured in Troodos.
64. The highest temperature: 46.6 °C was measured in Lefkoniko.
65. The average life expectancy in this country is 78.9 years (women – 81.1 years and men – 76.8 years).
66. In this country, men and women can get married at the age of 18.
67. In this country, women having their first child on average 28.5 years old.
68. 10 women give birth to 15 children on average
69. The average age people living in this country is 36.1 years old.
70. The country is around:
– 132,000 people (15.61%) in the age range 0-14 years.
– 617,000 people (72.88%) in the 15-64 age range years.
– 97,500 people (11.51%) over 65 years old.
71. In this country, about 9,700 children are born each year (1.1% of the population), and about 5,600 people die (0.7% of the population).
72. There are 1185 km2 of agricultural land in Cyprus (13% of the country).
73. 364 people in 1000 possess firearms.
74. Prodromos is the highest located town in the country.
75. In this country, women have the right to vote since 1960.
76. The country joined the UN on September 20, 1960.
77. The work week is 48 hours.
78. 69% of the country’s population lives in urban areas.
79. 1750 sq km of land is covered by forests (18.9%)
80. The last death penalty was carried out in 1962.
81. In this country, the amount of income tax for individuals is 35%, and for companies 12.5% (2018).
82. The tax on goods and services is 19% (2018).
83. The level of inflation in 2018 is 2.3%.
84. Cyprus has 13,900 kg of gold reserves (2018).