The cheetah is a predatory mammal belonging to the felidae family.
It was first described by Johann Christian Daniel von Schreber in 1777.
Cheetah interesting facts
1. The cheetah is the fastest land animal. It can accelerate to 125 km/h.
2. The cheetah has characteristic dark streaks under the eyes that look like tears.
3. Currently, there is only one species of cheetah.
4. Lions and hyenas often hunt young cheetahs.
5. A cheetah is pregnant for 3 months. 3 to 5 pups are born in one litter.
6. The young cheetah becomes independent at the age of 20 months.
7. It is estimated that there are approximately 9,000 cheetahs in the world.
8. The cheetah has often been called the hunting leopard.
9. The closest ancestor of the cheetah is the puma fawn.
10. The oldest cheetah fossils date back to about 3 million years.
11. On the cheetah’s body there are about 2,000 evenly spaced, oval black spots with a diameter of 3 to 5 cm.
12. Each cheetah has a different pattern of spots on the body. On their basis, they can be easily identified.
13. The cheetah has a long and muscular tail between 60 and 80 cm.
14. The cheetahs that live in the wild in India and the Iranian peninsula have been mostly domesticated by local aristocrats. They were used for hunting antelopes.
15. The cheetah can accelerate to 110 km/h in 3 seconds.
16. To avoid contact with hyenas, lions, and leopards, cheetahs hunt during the day.
17. It is able to maintain its maximum speed for a distance of 200-300 meters.
[contact-form-7 id="2444" title="add"]
How long is an adult cheetah’s body length?
Its body length ranges from 1.1 to 1.5 m.
How tall is the cheetah?
Its height at the withers ranges from 66 to 95 cm.
How much do cheetahs weigh?
Their weight ranges from 40 to 90 kg.
What do cheetahs eat?
Cheetahs feed on small mammals (weighing up to 40 kg), mainly gazelles, rabbits and warthogs.
How long does a cheetah live?
They live up to about 20 years.
Where are cheetahs found?
In the wild, cheetahs are found mainly in Africa. Single individuals can also be found in the northern part of India and on the Iranian plateau.
What makes the cheetah the fastest among land animals?
It is influenced by light weight, long, strong paws, an elongated spine and a massive tail that allows you to keep your balance.