11. Belgium has the best chocolate in the world, with over 300 years of tradition.
12. All street names, advertisements, information boards, signs are written in two languages: French and Flemish.
13. The Belgians consider themselves inventors of French fries.
14. The most important symbol of the capital of Belgium – Brussels is the figure of a naked, pissed boy named Manneken Pis, and on the other side of the market, Jeanneke Pis, a pee girl, is much less known.
15. Brussels is the largest percentage of officials in the world. There are 700,000 of them per million inhabitants.
16. At Waterloo, south of Brussels, the final defeat of Napoleon occurred.
17. There are over 800 types of beer.
18. 220,000 tons of chocolate are produced there annually.
19. The country was invented a saxophone.
20. Belgians more often sweeten popcorn than salt.
21. Durbuy is the smallest town in Belgium, with about 500 inhabitants.
22. The Belgians invented and designed the Euro currency.
23. Since 2002, euthanasia is legal.
24. In Belgium, the first “Academy of Beer” was created in the world.
25. In 1066, the Huy region became the first European city.
26. In Brussels is the deepest swimming pool in the world, 35 meters deep.
27. In this country there is the longest tram line in the world leading from the border with France to the border with the Netherlands (about 68 km).
28. In Belgium, in 1763, the first casino in Europe called “la Redoute” was opened.
29. There are an average of 140 restaurants per square kilometer in Brussels.
30. Up to 97% of households have cable TV.
31. In December 2006, the largest child in Europe weighing 5.4 kg and 57 cm tall was born in Knokke.
32. In the fifteenth century, Belgians invented painting with oil paints.
33. Belgium has the most dense railway network in the world, a total of 4,078 kilometers of tracks.
34. The Smurfs were created by the Belgian cartoonist Peyo in 1958.
35. In Belgium, the largest number of castles is calculated per square kilometer.
36. In Belgium, long queues line up for the best fries and the fries are served with several dozen types of sauces.
37. In Antwerp, in the Rubens House Museum, you can see an example of a very well-equipped kitchen from those times.
38. Position in the best world army list:
– 2015 year – 33 place,
– 2018 year – 67 place.
39. Number of soldiers:
– 2014 year – 33 000 professional and 6,000 reservists, < br> – 2018 year – 32 300 professional and 6500 reservists.
40. Number of equipment:
– 2014 year – 50 tanks, 3200 armored vehicles, 160 jet aircraft and 30 helicopters,
– 2018 year – 50 tanks, 545 armored vehicles, 162 jet aircraft and 33 helicopters.
41. Expenses for the army:
– 2014 year – $5,000,000,000 ,
– 2018 year – $5,085,000,000 .
42. Maritime fleet …
– in 2014 , the year was around 35 ships, in 2018 of the year it’s about 38 ships.
43. The permissible blood alcohol content in a person driving a car is 0.5 promille.
44. According to the law, every patient, even a tourist with insurance must cover the cost of treatment and only later can apply for a refund in the “sickness fund”.
45. By exceeding the speed by 30 km / h in the built-up area you can lose your driving license.
46. The Polish driving license from before June 30, 2006 is not valid in Belgium.
47. In this country there are free, well-lit highways.
48. In Belgium, the mail introduced half a million stamps with a chocolate scent and glue flavor.
49. Every second baby born has Muslim parents. At this rate, as early as 2030, Belgium will become an Islamic country.
50. About 25% of Brussels residents are Muslims.
51. Baarle-Hertog is a town located on the border with the Netherlands. In 1995, an exact line was drawn, which is separated by both states. It cuts streets, sidewalks and even buildings. The principle applies – on which side of the line there is a front door, the building belongs to this country.
52. The minimum wage is 1 502 euro per month, 9.12 euro per hour (data from 2013).
53. The tax-free amount is EUR 8,680.
54. In 2018, the average monthly salary in this country is 3 440 €.
55. The amount of income tax in Belgium is 33.99%.
56. Men and women can retire at the age of 65.
57. The unemployment rate in 2018 is 6% .
58. 3 Belgians have accumulated assets greater than one billion US dollars.
59. The richest of them is Albert Frere with assets worth over $4.9 billion.
60. In Belgium, an average person consumes about 11 liters of pure alcohol per year.
61. The national alcohol is Jenever and beer.
62. The most beer is beer – 49%, then wine – 36%, spirit – 14.9%, and other alcoholic beverages – 0.1%.
63. In this country, compulsory education lasts 12 years.
64. The beginning of education begins at the age of 6.
65. The average IQ level is 99.
66. In this country there is 1% of people above 15 years of age who can not read or write (approximately 112 917 people).
67. The national animal is the common kestrel bird.
68. The change from daylight saving time to winter time (turning clockwise back one hour) is the last Sunday in October.
69. Built-up area allowed speed depending on the area varies from 30 to 50 km / h.
70. Outside the built-up area, the speed limit on the regular road is 90 km / h, and 120 km / h on fast roads.
71. In 2013, 724 people lost their lives as a result of traffic accidents.
72. 25% of fatal accidents caused people who were under the influence of alcohol.
73. The country has over 6 994 000 motor vehicles registered (619 vehicles per 1,000 inhabitants).
74. In this country there are over 154 012 km of paved roads including over 1,756 km of expressways (0.24% of all roads in the world).
75. In this country there are 41 airports, 26 of the paved surface.
76. There is a 39.9 km metro line (59 stations) in Brussels. It was opened in 1976. Approximately 130 million people use it annually.
77. In this country over
9 569 000 (2015) 10 857 126 (2018) people have access to internet (around 96% of the population).
5,900,000 (2015) 6,500,000 (2018) accounts on Facebook.
79. The average speed of fixed internet is 12.8 Mb / s, and the maximum is 59.3 Mb / s (data from the end of 2015).
80. The national top-level domain is .be . There are over 1 328 010 websites with such an extension.
81. The most popular pages with the extension .be are: google.be, hln.be and standaard.be.
82. This country has 2018 over year $26 210,000,000 of foreign exchange reserves (0.21% of foreign exchange reserves of all countries of the world).
83. Belgium has 227400 kg of gold reserves (2018).
84. Gross Domestic Product (GDP) …
– in 2015 the year is $536 142 000 000 ,
– 2018 is $493,000,000,000 .
85. Internal debt at the beginning …
– 2015 year was 106.5% GDP, or around: $570 991 230 000 ,
– 2018 of the year was 103% GDP, or about: $507 790,000,000 . In order to pay it back, each citizen would have to give about $44970.
86. Foreign debt at the beginning …
– 2015 the year was around: $1,312,918,000,000 ,
– 2018 of the year is around: $1,292,891,000,000 .
87. 22% of adults living in this country are overweight.
88. In this country an adult person smokes an average of 121 cigarettes a month.
89. In this country homosexual marriages have been legal since June 1, 2003.
90. The highest building in the country is BRTN Toren in Sint-Pieters-Leeuw with a height of 300 meters. Established in 1996.
91. The lowest temperature: -30.1 °C was measured in the Valley of the Lesse.
92. The highest temperature: 38.8 °C was measured in Uccle.
93. The most deadly disease in this country is heart failure.
94. The average life expectancy in this country is 80.5 years (women – 83 years and men – 78 years).
95. 11 Belgian citizens received the Nobel Prize.
96. Belgium is one of the 12 countries in the world that on April 4, 1949, after the North Atlantic Treaty was signed, formed a political and military organization called NATO.
97. In this country, men and women can get married at the age of 18.
98. In this country, women having their first child on average 28.2 years old.
99. 10 women give birth to 18 children on average.
100. The average age people living in this country is 41.4 years old.
101. The country is around:
– 1 931 000 people (17.08%) in the age range 0-14 years.
– 7 314 000 people (64.69%) in the age range 15-64 years.
– 2 061 100 people (18.23%) over 65 years old.
102. In this country, about 129,000 children are born each year (1.1% of the population), and about 109,000 people die (1.0% of the population).
103. Sylvain Arend, a Belgian astronomer, on February 3, 1935, called one of the discovered planetoins – Wawel, in honor of the Polish royal castle.
104. Belgian entrepreneurs are transferring their companies to “tax havens”. It is estimated that in 2016 alone, they transferred over EUR 221 billion in revenues.
105. The record heatwave that struck Europe in 2003, from August 4 to 13 killed about 250 people in this country.
106. In 2003, it was the warmest summer since 1833.
107. In November 2016, a long-standing territorial dispute between Belgium and the Netherlands ended. Belgium renounced 14 hectares of land, and the Netherlands gave away 3 hectares.
108. A strawberry museum – Le Musee de la Fraise – has been opened in Belgium, in which there is a shop with products made of strawberry. You can even buy a strawberry beer there.
109. On January 23, 1831, the Belgian flag changed from horizontal stripes to vertical.
110. The Belgian flag has an unusual ratio of 13:15, for every 2.6 m height it is 3 m wide.
111. Belgium uses the most paper in Europe, counting per capita. The main reason is the bureaucracy in Brussels that requires printing all kinds of documents in many languages.
112. Belgium participates in the US nuclear weapons sharing program within NATO. It has 10-20 heads.
113. In the city of Ypres, on the second Sunday of May, the Kattenstoet festival is held, dedicated to cats.
114. In Belgium, until 1977, you could legally buy a driving license without taking exams.
115. One of the main life goals of the Belgians is to have your own home. Hence the saying that every Belgian is born with a brick in the stomach.
116. The largest groups of Poles in Belgium are in Antwerp and Liege.
117. At Herk-de-Stad in 1999, the world’s first beer academy was opened.
118. In Belgium, personal identity cards have been used since 2003.
119. This is the first country where an electronic passport has been introduced.
120. Cable TV is in more than 95% of homes.
121. The Kingdom of Belgium is one of the 12 monarchies in Europe.
122. At the international Brussels airport, the largest amounts of chocolate in the world are sold.
123. In Belgium, fries are eaten with mayonnaise.
124. 15% of the Belgian population are immigrants.
125. Bruxelles Galeries St. Hubert is the oldest trading house in Europe. It was founded in 1847.
126. Brussels is the largest court in the world. The Palace of Justice has an area of 26,000 m2.
127. In Brussels, there is the deepest pool in the world, 35 m deep.
128. In 1958, the “human zoo” was opened, where people could watch African children.
129. In Belgium, euthanasia is allowed regardless of age.
130. 25% of Brussels residents are Muslims. They led to the removal from the calendar of Easter and Christmas.
131. In this country you will not find premises known for the world-known American chain of KFC quick service bars.
132. The percentage share in the global economy of Belgium in 2015 is 0.71% (for comparison, Poland’s share is 0.74%, and the United States – 23.32%).
133. In this country, a person of 16 years of age is subject to criminal liability.
134. There are 13370 km2 of agricultural land in Belgium (44% of the country).
135. 172 people in 1000 possess firearms.
136. In this country, you can buy cigarettes from 16 years of age.
137. The highest situated town in the country is Rocherath.
138. In this country, the formalities related to the establishment of the company last for 27 days.
139. The country joined the UN on December 27, 1945.
140. The work week is 38 hours.
141. 97% of the country’s population lives in urban areas.
142. 6670 sq km of land is covered by forests (22%)
143. The last death penalty was carried out in 1950.
144. In this country, the amount of income tax for natural persons is 50%, and for companies 29.58% (2018).
145. The tax on goods and services is 21% (2018).
146. The level of inflation in 2018 is 2.1%.