1. As the beginning of World War II, Westerplatte fire from the battleship school “Schleswig-Holstein” at 4:45 is considered. Some sources say that the first shots were at 4:17.
2. The attack on Wieluń followed the witnesses’ description 3 minutes earlier than on Westerplatte at 4:42.
3. At 4:34 three German bombers attacked the bridge in Tczew.
4. According to Hitler’s plans, this was to be an instant war. He did not expect so much resistance.
5. Germans thanks to the fact that they occupied earlier Moravia, they could attack Poles from the west, north and south.
6. On September 1, 1939, Poland’s border with Germany was 1,600 km long.
7. Westerplatte, against the aggression of the Germans, defended only about 200 soldiers for as many as seven days.
8. During the bombing of Wieluń, 1,200 civilians were killed.
9. The first soldier to be awarded the Military Orchestra of “Virtuti Militari” was Corporal Leonard Złób, for the pogrom of German tanks.
10. The Volhynian Cavalry Brigade in the Battle of Mokre repulsed the attack of German tanks. They destroyed about 100 of them.
11. There are legends that the Polish cavalry with sabers has moved to German tanks.
12. On August 30, 1939, the newspaper “Kurier Poznański” wrote an article about the agreement between the Soviets and Germany and the great threat to Poles.
13. On September 3, 1939, when people learned that England was going to war with Germany, they went out on the street, jumped in joy and shouted “Long live England !!”. Unfortunately, happiness was premature.
14. According to the original plan, Hitler’s attack was to take place on August 26, 1939.
15. The first German plane managed to shoot down Poles at 7:00 in the area of Olkusz.
16. The Third Reich had one of the strongest armies in the world.
17. September 1, 2017 falls just like in 1939 on Friday.
18. Before the outbreak of the war, Poland was inhabited by 35 million people.