June 30 is the International Asteroid Day. On that day Tunguska asteroid hit Siberia.
Asteroid is a small blue body with a solid rock surface, circling the star.
The asteroid is also called a planetoid and a planet.
Asteroid interesting facts
1. Most of the discovered asteroids are in the main asteroid belt located between the orbits of Mars and Jupiter.
2. It is estimated that there are more than 2 million asteroids in the Solar System with a diameter greater than 1 km.
3. A category of dwarf planets has been created for the largest asteroids. This group also includes Pluto.
4. The largest known asteroid is Ceres. It is 975 km in diameter.
5. Asteroid Florence On September 1, 2017, it approached Earth in record-breaking distance (7 million km).
6. The Florence asteroid has two small moons.
7. It was not until October 2017 that the first asteroid from outside the solar system was discovered.
8. Over 750,000 asteroids are known.
9. About 510,000 asteroids are assigned a number, and 21 thousand have their own name.
10. There are about 1,000 asteroids with an area of over a kilometer that have a similar orbit to Earth.
11. In 2017, astronomers observed through a telescope in Hawaii a strangely behaving asteroid, which most likely flew from outside our solar system. It moved at a speed of 25.5 km / s. It has a diameter of about 400 meters. Interestingly, under the influence of the Sun’s gravity, it rapidly changed direction and accelerated to 44 km / s.
[contact-form-7 id="2444" title="add"]
Is the asteroid different from the asteroid?
It differs only in name. The asteroid is a synonym for the word asteroid.
What is the difference between asteroid and comet?
They differ in composition, the asteroid is made of minerals and rocks, and the comet is made of dust and ice.